Our universe has a baffling characteristic to it in the sense that only 5% of the universe is measurable by human instruments and senses. The other 95% of the universe is comprised of what physicists call dark energy and dark matter. It is not detectable or measurable by anything manmade and the only reason physicists know of its existence is because of the effect that it has on its surroundings. The accelerating rate of the expansion of the universe is only explainable with the input of dark energy and how galaxies hold themselves together without flying apart is only explainable with the input of the gravity from dark matter.
I have always been a lover of science, specifically astronomy and physics. As a youth, I would gaze out at the night sky from the roof of my house with a star finder plotting the constellations and learning the names of the different stars in the sky. I questioned everything and accepted nothing without proof, relying on logic before emotion and education before faith. As I grew into a young adult, my focus shifted from science to business but my inquisitive nature remains. I look upon aspects of professional life in many of the same ways that a physicist looks at the universe.
One of those aspects is opportunity. Opportunity exists all around us but so many are blind to its characteristics. It’s the dark matter of the professional world. It cannot be measured or detected by any known manmade device or sense and the only reason we know it exists is because we see its effects on those who succeed. Our guest on That Business Show today was Leslie Gay, Owner of Painting with a Twist in 3 locations across Pinellas County. She is one who succeeded, benefiting from an opportunity that otherwise would have been overlooked by many.
Painting with a Twist was founded in 2007 by Renee Maloney. Along with Cathy Deano, they wanted to bring about hope after the impact that Hurricane Katrina had on their community by using art. The idea was to turn people into an artist through step by step art instructions and a glass of wine at their store located in Mandeville, Louisiana. Fast forward two years and Leslie Gay discovered the store and fell in love with the idea. Leslie had a background in accounting and convinced Renee that their idea was marketable and convinced Renee to franchise the brand. In 2009, Leslie and her husband Marvin became the first franchise owners of a Painting with a Twist location in St. Petersburg in 2009. Today the brand has 320 studios across 38 states and is one of the fastest growing paint and sip franchises in the nation.
The concept is simple. Enjoy an event with friends or family whereby an instructor takes the class through a training session and you get to produce a work of art! You can bring in your own drinks and it makes an excellent choice for a corporate team building event or a first date. Some locations have onsite bars and classes are 2 hours in length and are $35.00. With many locations around the Tampa Bay area, you can find Leslie at 2527 Central Ave in St. Petersburg which was the first franchise location of the brand. You can reach them to schedule a class at 727-327-4488 or online at www.paintingwithatwist.com/stpetersburg.
In addition, the CBS show Undercover Boss is featuring the brand on their January 4th 2017 episode too so be sure to check that out. Find the complete interview with Leslie Gay here and please subscribe to That Business Show on YouTube for more entrepreneurial interviews from around Tampa Bay and become part of our EDGE Business Community by subscribing to the EDGE Business Magazine at www.thatbusinessmagazine.com! We are also on iTunes and can be found here.